13 Jan Guide to Staying Alert and Focused Through the Workday
Do you find it difficult to stay consistently focused all day? As your concentration fades, so does your productivity. You may find yourself struggling to complete your deadlines on time or produce quality work that you’re proud to submit to your employer.
Losing focus in your day is natural. There’s no need to be hard on yourself. However, with the right tools and self-awareness, you can find ways to maintain your alertness so you can stay on track during your workdays.
Establish yourself as an efficient, reliable employee by following these steps:
Put Your Best Foot Forward Before Work
The beginning of your day will determine how productive your day will be. Before even stepping into the office or settling into your at-home deskspace, your brain must be alert so it’s ready for a day of work.
Make sure to give yourself enough time in the morning to:
- Wake up your mind and body
- Set a daily intention or goal to fulfill throughout your day. Choose positive themes like being productive, being grateful, feeling empowered, etc.
- Move a little. Get your circulation flowing and practice discipline, so your brain can focus attention for long periods.
- Have a satisfying breakfast with brain-boosting nutrients
These activities will help your brain kick into high gear, so it is most alert, allowing you to concentrate and stay focused during your day.
Prioritize Your Tasks
As you approach your workday, it helps to have a plan. Your work morning will be when you want to be the most productive. Your brain is refreshed from your sleep and stimulated from your morning routine, so it’s ready to be efficient early in your workday. This is why you should order your tasks so you can address your more challenging work in the morning and leave the lighter duties for the afternoon when your energy tends to fade.
On a busy day, you may be tempted to skip taking breaks so you can get everything done on time. This could impair your productivity throughout your workday. Your brain can only stay at its highest focus levels for a certain amount of time. The key to maintaining your efficiency all day is allowing your brain to process information, restore, and then be ready to focus intensely after getting the break.
Power Through Your Afternoon Slump
The afternoon is a crucial time when it’s nice to have some tricks up your sleeve to overcome your fading energy and concentration levels. Stay alert in the afternoon by:
- Having a light lunch that’s easy for your body to digest.
- Standing up, stretching, squeezing in physical activity for an energy kick.
- Step outdoors to stimulate your mind with outdoor scents, sounds, and fresh air.
- Meditate or try focused breathing, so your mind isn’t clouded with stress or distraction in the afternoon.
These four steps will help you throughout your workday to remain focused and avoid any potential burnout. They offer an effective formula to get your work done on time, so you feel proud of your accomplishments at the end of the day. These steps will not only help you in your workday but in your social interactions and when participating in fulfilling activities. You’ll find overall heightened awareness and productivity that will contribute to your personal success.