23 Jan Introverts! Here’s How to Conquer the Job Interview
The job interview can be stressful and scary no matter your personality. This is one of the most critical steps in the hiring process as this is the first impression managers and other employees receive and it helps them determine if you are a good fit for the company. But what if you are an introvert and being the center of attention gives you anxiety? Here are a few job interview tips for introverts to help you succeed.
One of the most important job interview tips for introverts is to prepare. Do your research and learn all you can about the company and its mission. Also, practice and prepare yourself for many common job interview questions. It is wise to go through several mock interviews to practice your body language, your responses, your eye contact and more. There are many things you can do to impress your interviewers, and a mock interview is an excellent way to practice them. Remember that the more prepared you are for the interview, the more confident you will feel.
2. Bring notes and documents
Bring all of your notes that you use to prepare in a small folder. As you wait for the interview to begin, review these notes to help refresh your memory and boost your confidence. Also, bring extra copies of your resume and cover letters that you can easily hand to the interviewers. This will show that you are prepared and detail-oriented.
3. Learn how to sell yourself
It can be difficult to talk about yourself and what makes you an excellent employee. If you want to conquer your job interview, this is crucial. Learn how to sell some of your best qualities such as preparedness, punctuality, dependability, detail-oriented, etc. It is also wise to determine what qualities would make for the ideal candidate and try to highlight those throughout the interview as well.
4. Don’t forget your body language
Your body language can often say more than words. It can tell the interviewers that you are nervous, scared, or even bored. A few things to keep in mind during your interview:
- Look the interviewers right in the eye. This will show that you are confident and will make for an easier conversation. However, make sure to break eye contact often so you don’t appear too overbearing.
- Avoid fidgeting and constant wiggling. This will tell the interviewer that you are nervous.
- Avoid crossing your arms and legs and turning away from the interviewer. This is a sign that you are hiding something or keeping something from the interviewer.
- Watch for some of your nervous habits. For example, you may wiggle your foot, bite your nails, etc., when you are nervous. Make sure you are aware of your nervous habits and avoid them at all costs.
While a job interview can be scary for anyone, they can be terrifying for introverts. By keeping the above job interview tips for introverts in mind, you will walk away satisfied with your performance and the overall experience.